Saturday, February 5, 2011

Let's try mountain biking

So my leg has really been hurting me and Thursday's run in the cold rain didn't help much. I was supposed to run 15 today but decided to lay off because im worried I might be working on a stress fracture. If that's the case then I'd likely have to sit this race out which would really be a bummer. I'm just taking it one day at a time and trying to not let my pride get in the way. Plus if you think about it this race means very little. Christ still died for my sins so I will spend eternity with him. I'm married to an amazing woman who is expecting our first child in April. I have an amazing family and group of friends.

All that to say I couldn't sit around so I decided to go for a long mountain bike ride instead. We are in north Georgia at sals parents house celebrating Tombos birthday. Its beautiful up here and fairly mountainous which makes any run or ride more difficult. I mapped out a route on some of the gravel roads around the house and took off. I had a blast. Some of the terrain was really tough and my legs were burning but it was beautiful. Oh and go figure...it was raining most of the ride. I'm not good at timing my workouts.

At the halfway point (about mile 6) I stopped to enjoy some nuts I had packed and relieve my feet. My feet were numb because I was riding in my uncles shoes which are 2 sizes too small. But they clip into the pedals which is crucial when riding long. I clipped back in and headed home. My ride home consisted of picking up my water bottle that fell out on the way and being chased by some sort of chow mix that seriously wanted to tear me to shreds. I laughed as I pedaled furiously past him. He took the wrong angle.

I don't know how a bike ride fits in to the training plan but I'd rather be able to finish the marathon than push too hard and not be able to race. Race is 2 weeks from today! Btw, typed this on an iPad which is cool but forgive any typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment