Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Best Running Partners

One of the things I love most about running is doing it with other people.  I'm a fairly extroverted person and combining running with hanging out is the perfect combo.  But, not everyone likes to talk while they run so I often get told to shut my mouth when we hit a hill or start doing speed work.

Anyway, this past Saturday my goal was to run somewhere between 10 and 15 miles.  As I mentioned before, Sal has started training for the Thanksgiving Half Marathon!  So, I decided I would run about 10 fairly early Saturday then join her for her 3.

The first 10 miles were great but the last 3 were some of the best ever.  We went down to the river near our house to run.  I pushed Daye (our precious baby girl) in the jogging stroller and held Phelps on the leash so Sal could focus on running.  I have to admit it was a good bit of work to keep Daye straight while Phelps was pulling in every direction.  But it was worth every bit of effort.

It's really funny when me and Sal run together because at some point in the run she turns to me and says "what are you going to talk to me about?" Translation: I don't want to talk and you always have tons to say so now's your time.  I usually have a hard time coming up with anything.

I've been reading "Run" by Dean Karnazes.  He is crazy but it's extremely inspiring because I think he's tapped into what's deep inside a lot of us.   It's this desire to push ourselves and see how far our bodies can go.  But, I think we/I often lack the mental fortitude to truly push ourselves.  The combination of reading the book and my bday coming up are tempting me to do something crazy.




1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! that question is my effort to be distracted from the pain, unlike you who wants to be fully immersed in the pain . . . we balance each other out! I look forward to the great reveal of this crazy temptation to which you are alluding

    ReplyDelete